Call Us: (869) 465-8485 Email:
en English
Property Tax June 2024
Property Tax June 2024 2
Quick Pay 2022
Tax Revenue Management System Upgrade

Vehicle License

The Saint Christopher and Nevis Licensing Authority (Traffic Department) of the Royal Saint Christopher and Nevis Police Force is tasked with the responsibility of administering driver and vehicle licences and is empowered under the Chapter 15.06 Vehicles and Road Traffic Act. The Licensing Authority works closely with the Inland Revenue Department which issues both the driver’s licence card and the vehicle decal after payment of the appropriate fees.

To drive within the Federation, the driver of the vehicle must obtain a driver’s licence. A permanent licence is issued for three (3) years while a temporary licence has a duration of three months or one year. It is illegal to drive a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license. An individual must be at least sixteen(16) years of age to be licenced to drive a motorcycle. All other vehicles require a minimum age of eighteen (18). There may be other restrictions relating to specific classes of vehicles. Vehicles are licenced for a maximum period of one year and the renewal date is dependent on the last digit of the licence plate. Vehicles are inspected annually at registered inspection agencies, a list of which can be obtained from the vehicle licencing authority.


The renewal period for vehicle licences is based on the last digit on the number plate (i.e.: P 3325 renews in May, HA 962 renews in February, H 90 renews in October). The licence is valid for a maximum period of one year if renewed at its scheduled time. If not renewed as scheduled, the licence will be valid for less than one year. It is illegal and dangerous to drive an unlicenced vehicle.


Renews in May each year
Renews in October each year


Black plates are assigned to vehicles for personal use and these vehicles are not to be used for any commercial purposes.
Yellow plates are assigned to vehicles that are licenced for taxi services.
Green plates are assigned to vehicles that are used for general public transportation.

Before a vehicle is licenced it must be inspected by the Licencing Authority or an inspection agency. You may contact the Licencing Authority (1-869-467-1359) for a list of inspection agencies. Vehicles under one year old are inspected by the Licencing Authority before they are first used on the road. Subsequent annual inspections are performed at an inspection agency. All other vehicles must be inspected by an inspection agency. On completion of the inspection, the owner is issued with a Vehicle Inspection Report.


To complete the licencing of your vehicle, you must take the Vehicle Inspection Report and proof of valid insurance to the Inland Revenue Department. After payment of the appropriate fees, you will be issued a self-adhesive decal which is to be affixed to the windscreen of the vehicle as described by the Licencing Authority:

(a) in the case of a vehicle with the steering wheel on the left side, the decal must be placed on the top right hand corner of the vehicle’s windscreen;
(b) in the case of a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side, the decal must be placed on the top left hand corner of the vehicle’s windscreen.

If a vehicle licence decal is lost, stolen or destroyed, it must first be reported to the police. A letter stating the circumstances why the decal is not available to the vehicle owner, must be submitted to the Vehicle Licencing Authority for verification. The decal replacement will not be issued without authorisation from the Vehicle Licencing Authority. The Inland Revenue Department will issue a replacement only after notification from the Licencing Authority. The fee for replacing a vehicle decal is $ 31.25.

Fees for licencing a vehicle are based on its weight in pounds (lbs) or classification. Licence fees are prorated by the quarter year subject to renewal date and authorization from the Vehicle Licencing Authority. Licence fees periodically change, please check with The Inland Revenue Department for the current fees.
Click here for our most up to date licencing fees.


Conductors Licence 37.50
Registration Of Any Motor Vehicle Or Trailer 62.50
Transfer Of A Licence/Change Of Ownership 62.50
For Amendment Of The Vehicle Registration Number 62.50
For Amendment To Name On Driver’s Licence 31.25
An Amendment To Learners Licences Authorization 31.25
Change Of Vehicle Colour 62.50

The registered owner of the vehicle must complete and sign a Declaration of Transfer Form in the presence of an officer of the Licencing Authority. The transferee if possible, should also be present and to sign. The officer witnessing the signing will sign the form and advise the new owner of the next steps in the process, which are, (1) obtaining insurance for the vehicle under the new owner’s name and (2) the payment of transfer and licencing fees, if any, at the Inland Revenue Department.

If the registered owner elects to keep the vehicle registration number, then a registration form will be issued to, and completed by the new owner, and a new number is assigned to the vehicle.

If the registered owner is not on the island or cannot present themselves to the Licencing Authority, then a notorised letter addressed to the Traffic Department must be sent, indicating the owner’s intention, along with a description of the vehicle including manufacturer and model name, engine and chassis number, manufacture year and colour.

If the registered owner is deceased, then the individual who has lawful possession of the vehicle, must present an affidavit filed in the court, indicating their entitlement to ownership of the vehicle. A copy of the affidavit will be kept at the Licencing Authority and the original will be stamped, endorsed and sent to Inland Revenue Department to effect the change.

© 2020 Inland Revenue Department St. Christopher (St. Kitts) & Nevis